Author: Wayne Illingworth
You’ve fallen out of love with Estate Agency – now what?
First thing, don’t worry! It happens to the best of us, in fact, it happened to me. After 9 years in Estate Agency I started to question my career and what comes next. When in the world of Estate Agency it’s easy to feel stuck and think that is all the property industry has to offer, but I am here to tell you that isn’t true. In fact, with Estate Agency experience behind you, there are so many doors you can open into other sectors within property.
Take a look below at the many career paths you can take after Estate Agency
Working in the property investment sector is an engaging and dynamic field that encompasses various opportunities and challenges. The world of property investment offers a unique blend of financial potential and the satisfaction of contributing to development and transformation.
What does a Property Investment Consultant do?
- Respond to incoming lead
- Qualify leads
- Understand and evaluate what investors want
- Close sales
- Generate new investors by networking, gaining referrals and prospecting
- Educate investors on the property market
- Build strong relationships with investors
- Conduct client meetings and presentations
- Build reports
- Ensure documentation and contracts are correct
- Market research
- Sales negotiations
Business Transfer / Commercial Agency
Working in the business transfer or commercial property sector is a dynamic and multifaceted field that revolves around the buying, selling, leasing, and management of commercial properties and businesses. Moving into the commercial world isn’t just about big business, many of our clients deal with small pubs and shops.
What does a Business Transfer Agent do?
- Sell and acquire businesses on behalf of private and corporate clients
- Conduct market appraisals
- Instruct a business to the market for sale
- Arrange and conduct viewings
- Full lifecycle ownership of the sales process
- Maintain strong relationships with all parties
Working in the PropTech (Property Technology) sector is embarking on a journey at the intersection of property and technology, where innovation reshapes the way we buy, sell, rent, manage, and interact with properties. PropTech represents a vibrant and transformative industry that leverages cutting-edge technologies to revolutionise the traditional real estate landscape.
What does a PropTech Business Development Consultant do?
- Prospect new leads
- Find and research new leads
- Respond to incoming warm leads
- Negotiate deals
- Outbound marketing activities
- Close deals
- Market research to identify new markets
- Monitor industry trends
- Strategic planning
- Relationship building
There are many different companies that deal with social housing, from government bodies, local councils and private businesses. Social housing plays a pivotal role in ensuring that everyone, regardless of their economic circumstances, has access to decent and sustainable housing.
What does a Housing Officer do?
- Conduct inspections on properties
- Undertake all onboarding for properties
- Undertake all withdrawal duties for properties
- Report any faults and/or issues
- Deal with tenant complaints and queries
- Administration of operational cash
This is the route I took. I used my 9 years of Estate Agency experience and moved into the world of property recruitment to help people just like you find their next role.
Working in the property recruitment sector is all about connecting talent with opportunity in a sector you already know – property.
What does a Property Recruitment Consultant do?
- Build and nurture candidate relationships
- Conduct candidate interviews
- Qualify leads (job applications)
- Market research and identify new opportunities
- Outbound marketing
- Build relationships with clients by attending meetings and presentations
- Candidate education
- Close deals
It’s normal to fall out of love with Estate Agency but there is life afterwards. Most people try to find jobs in different sectors and transfer their skills over, but there are so many opportunities within property for your skills that are not in traditional agencies. You will more often than not find a better fit within the property industry than you would leaving the sector all together.
The Ambitious Group is a specialist property recruitment agency. If you are looking for your next career move, we can help. Take a look at our latest property jobs or get in touch today.